Sunday 15 July 2012

Birmingham, England


Birmingham is a city and metropolitan borough in the West Midlands of England.


Lowry, Jan Gabrial and Tom Forman stayed overnight in the city after being forced to land at Castle Bromwich Aerodrome en route from Heston to RAF Hooton Park as part of their trip to North Wales in September/October 1933. Jan recalled the stay when she was interviewed by Gordon Bowker; "Finally we landed in Birmingham. Birmingham and Bismark, North Dakota, I think, will go down in my memory as the two most God-awful places that I have ever been to in my life. We had steak and kidney pie, which was cold and which I threw up as soon as I got to my room, and it was an utterly disastrous town and gloomy." (Gordon Bowker Malcolm Lowry Remembered Pg. 94)

No comments:

Post a Comment